by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film 10 years into the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic on-screen set finally reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere again teamed up using their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman therefore scared of commitment that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 x therefore the jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for the time that is fourth. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted to your movie theater to begin to see the set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was in fact within the works for over 10 years with numerous other a-listers connected to star sooner or later, a larger blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that has been released in 1990.
But just it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Nevertheless, compliment of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both separately and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, even in the event it had been rarely made together with a different ending at one point.
From the A-listers that have been initially likely to star within the film in 1991 to Roberts’ own experience as being a bride that is runaway listed here are 20 enjoyable facts you will possibly not realize about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman follow-up, Runaway Bride had been really within the works well with over ten years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and cynical journalist.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to lead the film, however it dropped apart if the director that is first in had problems with the script. Throughout the next several years, movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all within the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock had been thinking about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie along with her suitors–and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, using the studio liking the basic concept of a more youthful couple. However when Affleck passed, one of many manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. As he adored the script, Gere had one condition the studio needed to fulfill before he finalized on to relax and play Ike: “when you can get Julia, i am in.” Roberts, that has initially been uncertain for the film whenever she read a version that is previous of script years prior, made a decision to take another appearance. And following a call along with her old Pretty Woman man that is leading the film movie stars had been prepared to reunite.
“People have now been hoping to get them straight back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles days. “And abruptly it happened—it ended up being all settled in a week”
4. The phone that is next had been one Gere and Roberts will have to make together, while they needed to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to really make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale again. There clearly was one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to simply simply just take their spouse to Australia for a much-needed holiday.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, we should speak to your spouse,” Marshall recalled towards the book. “They shared with her such things as, ‘ exactly How frequently do we get the opportunity to try this?’ and, ‘we will just simply take care that is good of,’ therefore finally we stated, ‘OK, we’ll take action.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly experience that is stress-free the trio, with Marshall noting a big change in their main character, now equipped with decade of experience on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
“Richard was in fact extremely careful on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a many more ready to be funny,” the manager stated. “Mostly we chatted within our very very own small shorthand. All I’d to complete ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as gross that is back-end the movie, Roberts obtained $17 million on her dashes from the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie stars shown worthy of these big paydays, as Runaway Bride launched at number 1 during the field workplace, attracting a week-end total of around $35 million, definitely the most useful opening ever for the Roberts movie during the time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), learning to be a blockbuster hit, it received lower than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching right back regarding the movie in a job interview with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that secret was at the movie that is first you cannot make that take place. While there is some wonderful material in the film, it surely did not have the miracle regarding the very first one. The expectation it was planning to have that exact same sort of delicious miracle ended up being reckless. It had been a different sort of film, it had been an alternative time, she was at an unusual destination, I became in a different sort of spot.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the tiny city of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million to the economy that is local upped the actual property market and nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s launch.
“we have actually been completely surprised,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun regarding the effect the film had around town of russian-brides.us reviews simply 3,000 individuals. “the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to many individuals. It put us in the map.”
9. When called “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere automobile remains a point of pride for Berlin, aided by the city holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the twentieth anniversary.
“People may be found in in addition they desire to hear, ‘Hey did you get to satisfy Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can we come across the home? Where had been the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we are going to provide the individuals whatever they want in addition they like to commemorate the film so we are planning to take action up for itS twentieth anniversary.”